Yeah yeah, I know, another late post. Yesterday WordPress 3.4 came out and while I was eager to update I knew that it would mean once again fussing with the handful of tweaks I’ve made to the default theme. I decided to back everything up, upgrade and then finally try to get my head around the concept of child themes, and I think it finally clicked. Now, instead of having to go and rejigger the files that I’ve made adjustments to I should be able to update themes and the underlying software without losing anything.
I still really need to get back into messing around with a truly custom style and to work up a plan for another site that I administer that could seriously benefit from going to a CMS or even a pseudo-CMS like WordPress, but this is a small victory and a step in the right direction.